Hangin' Out in Karongue

Hangin' Out in Karongue

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Some "Poupee" Confusion

Last Thursday we celebrated Hosanna's fifth birthday and one of the presents that she received from family back home in Florida was a baby doll. Well, as the French language would have it, the French word for baby doll is "poupee." (The word is pronounced poo-pay.)

With Hosanna starting school exclusively in French later this month we have really stressed speaking to her more in French. We generally say something in French, repeat the same thing in English, and then say it again in French. It has been really encouraging to see how much she already knows and how quickly she is picking up new words and ideas.

Well.....we were getting ready to walk over to some of our friends house to hang out and she wanted to bring her new doll. Knowing that she was going to be playing outside with her friends I said to Hosanna, "Ta poupee doit rester chez nous." This simply means, "Your baby doll must stay at our house." But this time I forgot to add the English translation for my dear five-year old and she does not yet know the French word for baby doll. (I have a feeling you know where this is going!)

Hosanna, still holding her baby doll, replied, "I just went to the bathroom and all of it is going to stay here. But can I take my doll?"

No comments:

Post a Comment